- Norcini JJ, Lipner RS, Kimball HR. Certifying examination performance and patient outcomes following acute myocardial infarction. Medical Education. 2002;36:853-59.
- Fiorilli PN, Minges K, Herrin J, Messenger J, Ting H, Nallamothu B, Lipner RS, Hess BJ, Holmboe ES, Brennan J, Curtis J. Association of physician certification in Interventional Cardiology with in-hospital outcomes of percutaneous coronary intervention. Circulation. 2015;132(19):1816-24.
- Lipner RS, Young A, Chaudhry HJ, Duhigg LM, Papadakis MA. Specialty certification status, performance ratings, and disciplinary actions of internal medicine residents. Academic Medicine. 2016;91(3):376-81.
- Papadakis MA, Arnold GK, Blank LL, Holmboe ES, Lipner RS. Performance during internal medicine residency training and subsequent disciplinary action by state licensing boards. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2008;148(11):869-76.
- Holmboe ES, Wang Y, Meehan TP, Tate JP, Ho SY, Starkey KS, Lipner RS. Association between maintenance of certification examination scores and quality of care for medicare beneficiaries. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2008; 168(13):1396-403.
- Reid RO, Friedberg MW, Adams JL, McGlynn EA, Mehrotra A. Associations between physician characteristics and quality of care. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2010;170(16):1442.
- Gray BM, Vandergrift JL, Johnston MM, Reschovsky JD, Lynn LA, Holmboe ES, McCullough JS, Lipner RS. Association between imposition of a Maintenance of Certification requirement and ambulatory care-sensitive hospitalizations and health care costs. JAMA. 2014; 312(22):2348-57.